Monday 2 June 2014

All hail the Lizard God!

I'm delighted to report that "Island of the Lizard God" has won the grand prize in the one page dungeon contest, and if all goes well, will be published in issue #5 of Gygax Magazine! I'm blown away to have won against so many other great entries (my money was on Ramsey Hong's "Crimson Maelstrom" or Lorenzo Santini's "Revenge of Xarr-Zuul"), so I'm feeling pretty humbled. It's also worth mentioning that this year's competition was managed with military efficiency, so props to Mundi King for pulling everything together so quickly.

I was in Birmingham for the UK Games Expo when I found out that I'd won. Receiving the $500 cash prize couldn't have come at a better time (or worse, depending on how you look at it). That morning Stacey and I hit the trade halls and came out with a treasure trove of gaming goodies:


We had a fantastic show, managing to squeeze in sixteen hours of roleplaying across four different RPG systems in three days. We traveled back to the Dark Ages for a rain-soaked murder mystery in Call of Cthulhu, ran riot as goblins in Labyrinth Lord, went on a dungeon heist in 13th Age, and mashed up our favourite characters using FATE Accelerated. It was a real mix of DM styles - narrative, sandpit and ad-lib - which was great to see. When we left, two of our group had purchased new games from the show and were even talking about trying out GMing for themselves.

Overall, we couldn't have hoped for a better weekend!

6 comments:

  1. That's fantastic. I was wondering what became of the D&D Next Adventure Contest entry? Or will this take 8 years like the playtests for that version of the game? When are you going to win that one? I think a pie-making owlbear deserves first prize in any competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's gone dark. Winners were supposed to be announced in April! :/

      Delete
  2. Yep, I got a Starblazer system which I now have to write a Phd on.

    It is as thick as an old school atlas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your appreciation, Will! But your win is well deserved. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.